Guatemala – International Service
International Service in Guatemala
Next Offered: December 30, 2016-January 8, 2017
Haven’t you always wanted to do international service? Here’s your chance!
Students participating in the International Service/ Study Abroad Guatemala program serve with the people of Guatemala, while learning about their social, cultural, historical, economic, political, and religious history and current realities. We work in partnership with the San Lucas Tolimán Mission community, as well as the De La Gente community. The primary motivation and purpose for coming to Guatemala is to learn. We share in learning from and growing in solidarity with local Mayan people and lending gracious support to the people of San Lucas and San Miguel Escobar. Each local project is committed to sustainable, integral human development and social justice, grounded in the principals of Catholic Social Teaching. The service we will do includes options like: building new stoves or homes, reforestation project, picking coffee, working with the Women’s Group, helping with the Children’s groups, etc.
International Community-based Learning makes a unique contribution to building global awareness and world peace. International Service helps Dominican students, faculty and staff live the mission in a unique way as we "participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.”
STA 299 is a stand-alone course for one credit for which students will register during the January Interim term. There is no additional tuition charge. If a student wishes to apply this credit to a major, they need the written approval of their major advisor. This course meets the Multi-Cultural requirement.
Requirements for one-credit:
- Attend pre- and post-trip classes and orientations
- Keep a journal
- Participate in the reflective learning process in country
- Participate in all in-country events
- Present a post-trip program for DU community
- Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for this course
- Complete application packet: application form, two recommendations
- Medical form completed by a physician due at time of deposit.
- Deadline: October 20, 2016
- For more information, please contact MaDonna Thelen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (708) 524-6425
Includes housing, group excursions, three meals per day and airfare:
- Currently enrolled Dominican University students and faculty/staff: $2000
- Auditors: $2000 includes auditing fee)
- Please note that any increases in fuel surcharges or taxes which occur up to the time of ticketing will be paid by the participant.
- Due to fluctuation in exchange rates, the cost of the program is subject to change
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- State, federal and Dominican aid is applicable
- Students: By studying abroad, you may have additional options for funding assistance. Please see a Dominican University Financial Aid Officer as soon as the application deadline has passed.
- Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior or qualified adult
- 2.5 GPA at Dominican
- Students must attend at least one information session
Under no circumstances will students be permitted to travel independently. All excursion and site visits will be with the group and directors.
Housing will be at local hotels who work in partnership with the San Lucas Tolimán Mission adjacent to the mission. All accommodations are group setting and with shared bathroom facility. Meals will be provided.
Group flight arranged by program directors who will accompany the group. In-country transportation is provided by a pre-arranged driver.