University of Poitiers
Next Offered: Fall 2016; Spring 2017
Offered in conjunction with University of Oregon, students have the opportunity to experience life in an ancient city where twenty centuries of Western civilization are still evident in buildings graced by Roman, Medieval, and Renaissance architecture. Today, Poitiers is a center for education, agriculture, industry and communications. A university town, it boasts a population of 120,000 and offers students a chance to live in a manageably sized city while still being close to the larger metropolitan centers in France.
Established in 1431, the University of Poitiers is the second oldest university in France and counts François Rabelais, René Descartes, and Francis Bacon amongst its former students. Highly regarded within France, the University of Poitiers provides 24,500 students a full range of top quality courses in Science, Liberal Arts, Pharmacy and Medicine, Engineering, Law, Economics, and Management. Poitiers provides a student friendly environment with the highest per capita student population of any city in France.
Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for any courses. Transcript issued by University of Oregon/ Université de Poitiers.
- Two-three week stage (orientation) in Poitiers
- CFLE (Centre de Français Langue Étrangère) courses taught in French by native French professors
- Université de Poitiers courses
Internship Options (3 semester hours)
- Assistantships teaching English in French junior and senior high schools
- Various business and NGO internships
- Internships must be applied for and are not guaranteed
Completed online application deadlines:
- Spring semester: October 1, 2016
- Fall semester: March 1, 2017
For more information, please contact Sue Ponremy, director international studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (708) 524-6965.
Program fees include: tuition, fees, room, breakfast + dinner/week, group excursions, health insurance, DU administrative and student fees)
- Full year: $26,204
- Fall semester $13,469
- Spring semester 14,305
- Round trip airfare: $1,600-$1,800
- Personal expenses: $1,200 per semester (estimated)
- Additional meals: $100 per semester (estimated)
- Consular fees: $135 (subject to change)
- Vacation travel and outside group excursions additional
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- State, federal and Dominican aid is applicable
- Students: By studying abroad, you may have additional options for funding assistance. Please see a Dominican University Financial Aid Officer as soon as possible.
- Open only to currently enrolled Dominican University students
- Junior or senior status at of start of program
- 2.7 DU GPA
- 3.0 GPA in all French courses
- One year of college French at the intermediate level or above
- Students must attend at least one information session.
Immersion and Excursions
- Native French on-site director
- Several one- and two-day excursions. Places visited vary by year.
- Homestays with selected French families
Round trip airfare: $1,600-$1,800 (estimated)
Visit mesdeuxpieds.wordpress.com to read about one student's experience studying abroad in Poitiers.