Grade Point Averages
- Minimum Science GPA of 3.0
- Minimum Overall GPA of 3.0
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores
- Official GRE scores are required. We do not use a cutoff or minimum GRE score, however we do consider strength of GRE scores relative to the applicant pool as part of our admission process
- The GRE must have been taken within five (5) years of the application date. The Educational Testing Service only keeps scores for five years
- Dominican University’s CASPA GRE Designated Institution Code should be used to report scores. The code is 7340
- Dominican University does not accept official scores submitted directly to the University. The application is not considered complete without reflecting official scores directly in CASPA. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow-up to ensure their scores are received by CASPA
Health Care Experience
- Minimum of 500 hours of volunteer or work experience in a healthcare setting. Verified documentation of experience must be uploaded with the CASPA application. The most competitive applicants have significantly greater than 500 hours of work experience, and this experience typically requires a period of training and results in direct involvement in patient care. Healthcare Experience Form
- PA Observation: Applicants must have a minimum of 15 hours of direct observation (i.e. shadowing) of PAs or attain an equivalent number of hours observing a Physician Assistant through providing direct patient care (e.g. Medical Assistant for a PA). Shadowing is not counted as part of the healthcare experience prerequisite. Verified documentation of observation hours must be uploaded with the CASPA application. Observation Verification Form
A total of 3 references submitted on the official CASPA reference form are required. It is strongly recommended that students request references from the following:
- Professor: A person who can attest to the applicant's academic preparedness for the program based on direct experience in a teacher-student relationship
- Supervisor: A person who can attest to the applicant’s intrapersonal attributes and interpersonal communication abilities based on direct observation as supervisor of the applicant’s volunteer or work experience
- Physician Assistant: A certified, practicing PA that can attest to your commitment, knowledge, and preparedness for the profession based on shadowing or employment experience
The personal narrative, required by CASPA should reflect your motivation or desire to become a physician assistant. Strongest essays will demonstrate how well the applicant aligns with the mission and vision of Dominican University. You may also be asked to answer a supplemental question with your application. No additional writing samples will be accepted outside of your CASPA application.
Bachelor’s Degree Requirement
The Physician Assistant Studies Program is a post-baccalaureate health professions program. Applicants must provide evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university that is regionally accredited prior to enrollment. Bachelor's Degrees obtained online will be considered on a case-by-case basis in the context of your whole application.
Online Prerequisite Coursework
Prerequisite coursework may be met with the completion of online courses, except for the courses which require lab. Laboratory prerequisites completed online will not be accepted.
Transfer Credit or Credit for Experiential Learning (Advanced Placement)
All courses within the curriculum are required. No credit is granted for pre-admission experiential learning, prior coursework, degrees, certifications, or advanced training. Transfer coursework (with a grade) to meet prerequisite requirements is acceptable. Advanced Placement courses taken in high school may not be used to satisfy prerequisite requirements.