The Crown Library is an integral part of the culture and community of Dominican University. Its mission is in harmony with the Dominican University Mission: to pursue truth, give compassionate service, and contribute to a more just and humane world. The mission of the Rebecca Crown Library mandates the academic support of students, faculty, and staff for resources and services. In addition to supplying print and electronic materials, services such as reference, circulation, interlibrary loan and instruction provide means through which the Dominican University Mission may be realized.
Dominican University's first library, containing the collections brought from St. Clara College in Sinsinawa, was located in what is now the Phyllis Skiffington Noonan Reading Room on the second floor of Lewis Hall. Sister Mary Reparata Murray, who established the School of Library Science in 1930, was the first librarian.
The current Library, named after Rebecca Kranz Crown, the wife of Colonel Henry Crown, Chicago philanthropist, and the library's principal benefactor, opened in 1972. Major renovations, which created the light, open spaces one sees today, were completed in 2002.